Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Summer Vegetable and Potato Casserole

This casserole is a new recipe for us. We found it delicious as a vegetarian/vegan main dish, but you could also use it as a side to complement another dish. It's a simple recipe that combines eggplant, squash, green beans, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, tomato and bell pepper with herbs and a little tomato sauce. A lot of chopping vegetables is involved in making this recipe, but it's worth it! And it can make a lot of tasty leftovers, depending on how many people you're cooking for.

The Recipe
Time: 15 mins. prep, 1 hr. 10 mins. cooking time
Yield: 5 servings as main dish, 7 servings as side dish
Use organic ingredients whenever possible!

  • 1 medium eggplant (we used 2 "baby" eggplants)
  • 1 large russet potato
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 medium yellow or white onion
  • 1 large or 2 small zucchini or other summer squash
  • 1 package (8 oz.) button or crimini mushrooms
  • 8 oz. green beans
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1½ tsp dried basil
  • 1½ tsp dried dill weed
  • 1½ tsp dried oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 small can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • ⅓ cup gluten-free bread crumbs (some brands are vegan, though I have yet to find one that's organic)
  1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
  2. Cut all vegetables except green beans into 2-inch chunks, then place all vegetables including green beans into a large mixing bowl.
  3. Mince garlic, then add it along with the herbs, salt and pepper to the veggies in the mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly to distribute herbs and spices evenly.
  4. Pour veggie mixture into a 11" x 15" (5 qt.) baking dish. Drizzle olive oil, then tomato sauce over the top. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
  5. Bake at 375° F for 1 hour and 10 minutes, adding a little water about halfway through baking time to keep top vegetables from drying out too much.
  6. Serve while hot and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Looks awfully good, I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again! I left a comment on your other post, but I signed up for this blog. I couldn't find it at first, until I scrolled down to the bottom. I'll send the link for this blog to my daughter, too. I think she'll be so thrilled to get your recipes! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lynn! And thank you for passing this on, too.

    ReplyDelete