I love taking versatile recipes like this and running with them, adding whatever I have in the refrigerator that I think might go well with the other flavors, and tossing in a variety of spices that changes every time I make the dish. One of my favorites to play with is my lentil soup recipe - my husband says I'm like a mad scientist when I'm putting it together! Lentils are a great vegetarian source of protein, iron and fiber, and even organic lentils don't cost very much. The other ingredients in the basic form of this recipe - tomato paste, onion, garlic, vegetable bouillon and cumin - are also relatively easy on the budget, while still offering a lot of nutrition. This delicious soup is entirely vegan and dairy-free if you leave off the optional cheese garnish.
The Recipe
Time: 10 mins prep, 30 mins cooking time
Yield: 4-5 servings
Use organic ingredients whenever possible!
Basic recipe:
- ½ cup lentils
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste (also works great with just ½ 6 oz. can)
- ⅓ medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 gluten-free vegetable bouillon cube
- ½ tsp salt if using low-sodium bouillon
- 1 tsp garlic granules or powder; or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 medium carrots, or 16-20 baby-cut carrots, chopped
- ¼ to ½ green, red, orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- dash cayenne pepper, or to taste
- shredded jack or mozzarella cheese for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onions (and carrots if using) and sauté for about 5 minutes. About halfway through, add garlic to sauté, and bell pepper if using.
- Add all other ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are soft. Still occasionally during cooking time.
- Serve hot (if using bay leaf, remove before serving). Optionally, garnish with shredded jack or mozzarella cheese.

Looks good!!
ReplyDeleteLentil soup & Rice n lentils were our 'impovrished student family' STANDARD meal items for years. My mother in law canned a veggie mix (tomato, zucchini, etc) that I'd often add to the soup. Squash & sun dried tomatoes are good winter additions.
ReplyDeleteFor Rice n Lentils - I use 2 parts Rice, one part lentils, & many of the same seasonings. The combo cooks in ~ 40 minutes with whole brown rice. Cumin is a 'must' for lentils for me - I have a bay tree in the back yard & lovage (perennial celery relative) & usually add a strip of kombu (kelp) .... mmmm
We're skipping tomatoes right now, as my daughter's nursing baby gets a rash when she eats them, she LOVES it when I make this for our lunch (I watch the little guy while she & her hubby are at work)
Hi Dia, can I please have your actual recipe for Lentil and Rice soup please...it sounds awesome!!
ReplyDelete