Saturday, October 8, 2011

Simple Fruit Smoothie

We love smoothies in this house. It's such a delicious, easy way to get a couple of daily fruit servings in. You'll probably be seeing a lot of smoothie recipes on this blog as I experiment with new ingredient combinations.

This recipe, in its non-dairy form, is our standard, go-to smoothie that we make with ingredients we usually always keep on-hand. Today I tried adding a little organic yogurt for some variation, which was quite good! Even so, I think I still prefer the original, non-dairy recipe.

The Recipe
Time: 2 minutes
Yield: Makes 1 smoothie.
Use organic ingredients whenever possible!

  • 6 tbsp frozen blueberries
  • 4 whole frozen strawberries
  • ½ small to medium banana, cut into chunks
  • 6 tbsp plain or vanilla yogurt (optional)
  • apple juice (see directions)
  1. Add blueberries, strawberries, banana and yogurt to a blender or tall Magic Bullet cup.
  2. Pour in apple juice until the level just touches the top of the fruit.
  3. Blend, adding more apple juice if the smoothie is too thick.
  4. Serve and enjoy!
    Step 1: Fruit and yogurt
    Step 2: Apple juice
    Step 3&4: Blend and enjoy!

    2 comments:

    1. I've been making coconut milk kefir for several years - a GREAT dairy free option, if you're not sensitive to coconut! The culture doesn't 'grow' as much as it does on dairy, so I get a 'refresh' occ. from a friend who cultures his on milk.
      My morning smoothie included: coconut milk kefir, applesauce, delicata squash (baked yesterday), a Tbsp of seaberries (high in antioxidents, I have a bush) - I often use frozen berries, but rarely bananas :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I forgot to mention the chia seeds! I soak a Tbsp overnight with a bit of the kefir or other liquid, then add in the morning. They can be ad!ed in the morning, just let it set ~ 10 minutes~

      ReplyDelete